Types of Transmissions We Repair
SERVING PORTLAND OR | GRESHAM OR | CLACKAMAS OR | VANCOUVER WA
What is a transmission? The transmission is the most powerful component in your vehicle, as it transmits power from the engine to the drive axle, controlling the wheels and drive of your vehicle. Modern commercial trucks, cars, SUVs and pickups can be equipped with several types of transmissions. As technology advances, and multiple designs become popular, it’s even more crucial to find a transmission repair shop that has experience with a range of styles and transmission systems. Our technicians at Marty’s Transmissions have the knowledge and training necessary to work on all types of transmissions, including specialized racing vehicles and heavy-duty commercial trucks.
We Repair All Types of Transmissions!
We offer free towing service and stand behind our work with a complete 12-month parts and labor warranty, and have served the businesses and residents of Portland Oregon for more than 35 years.
We perform transmission repairs related to these types of transmissions:
- All Wheel Drive
- Automatic Transmissions
- Diesel Transmissions
- Heavy Duty Transmissions
- High Performance Transmissions
- Manual Transmissions
- Racing Transmissions
Here at Marty’s Transmissions, we specialize in all things to do with types of automatic and manual transmissions. When it comes time to have your transmission repaired or serviced, our experience and diagnostic training makes us the top choice for transmission repair in the Portland OR area.
Automatic Transmission Types
Modern automatic transmissions are designed to provide hundreds of thousands of miles of trouble-free motoring. They are controlled by sophisticated electronic systems. Automatic transmissions have become the standard in vehicles, but each manufacturer uses a different type of automatic transmission. Here are the most common automatic transmission types:
- Torque-Converter: The gold standard of automatic transmissions, this type of system uses a torque converter to change gears instead of a clutch. This is found in most automatics.
- Automated-Manual: Also known as semi-automatic, these transmissions are known for their fuel economy, hard acceleration, and their less-than-smooth performance.
- Continuously Variable (CVT): This system uses belts and pulleys instead of steel gears. Known for its smooth performance and loud engine noise.
- Dual Clutch: A combination of automatic and manual transmissions, this dry transmission type uses two separate shafts for switching gears: one for odd number gears, and one for even.
- Direct Shift Gearbox: Uses a similar design to dual clutch, but this is a wet transmission (it uses transmission fluid).
- Tiptronic: Also known as a “manumatic”, this is typically found in sports cars. It gives the driver true control over choosing an automatic transmission or a manual, using a special torque converter instead of a clutch.
Without an experienced mechanic who understands the different types of transmissions, your automatic components could be repaired incorrectly! Marty’s Transmissions are the smart choice when it comes to automatic transmission repairs and service.
Types of Manual Transmissions
Manual transmissions are an extremely complex mechanical component, and it’s important to find a skilled mechanic. Here are the two types of manual transmissions:
- Sliding Gear: Now completely obsolete except in vintage cars, this was an early predecessor of the constant mesh transmission. It relied on skillful timing to change gears, and the driver had to attempt to “mesh” the gears together. This was problematic for many reasons, including wear and tear on gear teeth.
- Constant Mesh: Modern manual transmissions are all constantly meshing gears, and they rely on synchronizers to match the gear and clutch, instead of manual meshing. This type of manual transmissions was a huge improvement over sliding gear.
Here at Marty’s Transmissions, we specialize in all things to do with manual transmissions. When it comes time to have your manual transmission repaired, or serviced, our experience and diagnostic training makes us the top choice for manual transmission repair in the Portland OR area.
Transmission Repair for High Performance and Racing
Today’s high-performance and computer-controlled vehicles are sometimes equipped with traditional transmissions, but are more likely to be fitted with sophisticated transmissions such as continuously variable systems, automated manuals, or dual-clutch setups. Racing transmissions are also built to operate under torturous conditions for hours on end. The experts at Marty’s Transmissions have raced cars themselves, and they can suggest ways to gain better performance by upgrading or adjusting gears. Marty’s Transmissions is an experienced racing transmission repair shop, and we’ve been keeping performance cars in Portland OR running right for more than three decades.
Heavy Duty and Diesel Transmission Repair
Heavy duty and diesel transmissions are often called upon to handle vast amounts of torque, and this can place great stress on their lines, linkages, and internal components. Failure to have enough coolant or lubricant in these types of transmissions can cause the gears to overheat, crack, wear or slip. Because heavy duty transmissions are fitted for towing vehicles, fifth wheels, and boats, it’s even more important to make sure you have a solid and experienced mechanic who understands the extreme needs of your vehicle. Marty’s Transmissions offers preventative maintenance services, so you can avoid costly transmission repair in the future.
Repair for All Wheel Drive Transmissions
Your all-wheel-drive transmission is more complex than average transmissions, and requires an experienced and knowledgeable mechanic in order to properly repair it. All wheel drive vehicles require specific knowledge of individual manufacturers and types of transmissions. At Marty’s Transmissions, we have years of experience with both automatic and manual transmissions.
Repair Experts for All Types of Transmissions
Transmissions are a very complex component in your vehicle. Let the professionals at Marty’s Transmissions in Portland Oregon diagnose and repair your vehicle! With our over 45 years of rebuilding experience and diagnostic training, we are your best choice for transmission repair shop. Customer service and attention to detail are our top priorities, and we’ll do everything we can to get your type of transmission up and running again!
Marty’s Transmissions will diagnose your vehicle’s problem with our state of the art computer diagnostic system–at no charge!–prior to doing any repairs. We will contact you first, providing you with a detailed valuation and FREE transmission repair estimate for repairing your vehicle. Upon your approval to proceed with the repairs, we will give an estimated completion date and time.
Types of Transmissions in Portland OR and Gresham OR
Serving Clients in the Greater Portland OR Area: