Serving Portland OR | Gresham OR | Clackamas OR | Vancouver WA
If you often tow heavy loads or experience a lot of stop-and-go driving, you may want to consider having a transmission cooler installed on your vehicle. Transmission coolers help keep the transmission fluid in your vehicle cool to help prevent it from overheating. If you’re interested in transmission cooler installation, contact Marty’s Transmissions. Our technicians are all ASE Certified and we offer free estimates!
What is a Transmission Cooler?
Transmission coolers keep your vehicle’s transmission fluid cool. If you own an automatic vehicle, it already has a transmission cooler that’s built into the radiator. However, since it’s inside the radiator it may not do a good enough job cooling your transmission because it’s surrounded by hot coolant. The solution — an externally-mounted transmission cooler.
Do I Need a Transmission Cooler?
A transmission cooler helps ensure your transmission is staying cool, even when you’re working it hard. Below is a list of factors you may benefit from having a transmission cooler installation.
- Your vehicle tows boats, fifth wheels, and trailers
- You experience stop-and-go traffic
- You live in a warmer climate
Having a transmission overhead can lead to costly repairs and even make it necessary to replace the entire unit.
How Much Does a Transmission Cooler Installation Cost?
The cost to install a transmission cooler varies depending on the type and size of transmission cooler being installed. On average, a transmission cooler for a standard vehicle performing simple day-to-day driving may cost anywhere between $20 and $80. If you do a lot of heavy-duty towing or have a drag racing car, you can expect to pay about $50 to $200+ for a transmission cooler. It all depends on your specific needs. We can discuss your options and provide you with a more detailed estimate.
Types of Transmission Coolers
- Stacked plate transmission coolers: these transmission coolers have stacked plates. They are very popular and provide the best cooling efficiency
- Tube and fin transmission coolers: tubes encased within the unit allow transmission fluid to freely flow, while outside fins absorb heat
- Plate and fin transmission coolers: plates run parallel, horizontally throughout the cooler like a radiator
- Heat sink transmission coolers: these transmission coolers have fins that allow heat to efficiently disperse across the unit’s entire surface, cooling areas with less airflow. They aren’t very common today, but they’re still used, especially with older vehicles.
If you’re unfamiliar with transmissions and transmission coolers, we can help you decide which works best for your needs and your budget. Don’t hesitate to contact us or stop by with your vehicle. We provide free estimates!
Professional Transmission Cooler Installation
A transmission cooler will help keep your transmission fluid cool, but it also increases the life of your transmission. Whether you need your current transmission cooler replaced or you would like to add an additional transmission cooler to your vehicle, stop by Marty’s Transmissions for your professional transmission cooler installation. We happily offer all of our services at a competitive rate and only provide the best in quality vehicle care and maintenance.
Transmission Cooler Installation in Portland OR and Gresham OR
Serving Clients in the Greater Portland OR Area: